With the goal of developing puppetry, bringing together and exchanging contemporary practices between puppeteers from various backgrounds, Casteliers, the Montréal Arts Council (Conseil des arts de Montréal-CAM) and Puppet Showplace Theater are partnering to offer a creative cross-residency for professional puppeteers. For the third edition of this project, the selected Montréal artist will stay in the United States, in the city of Brookline. In return, Montréal will host an American puppeteer.
Applications are due November 5, 2018.
Casteliers is the project leader of the Montréal residency, while Puppet Showplace Theater is the project leader of the American residency.
The creative research residency will last for twenty-eight (28) days. It will take place in Montréal from March 3 to 31, 2019 and in Brookline (MA) from mid-March to mid-April 2019.
The cross-residency was developed with the following objectives in mind:
- Offer artists in residence the time and space to reflect upon and work on developing their practice.
- Encourage the sharing of practices between Montréal-based puppeteers, their international colleagues, and the many arts and culture stakeholders.
- Foster international collaborations and co-productions.
- Increase awareness among Montréal-based puppeteers of the current creative conditions in other countries.
- Increase awareness among international puppeteers of the dynamic puppetry arts scene in Montréal and across Québec.
This project will receive submissions from professional puppeteers  from Montréal and New England who have worked in professional puppetry arts for a minimum of five (5) years and whose experience is recognized at the national or international levels.
Montréal candidates must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- Have been domiciled on the island of Montréal for at least 12 months
American candidates must:
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident for at least 12 months
- Be domiciled in the territory of New England for at least 12 months
 A “professional puppeteer” is an artist that has acquired his or her basic training and whose qualifications are now recognized by his or her peers. Such an artist also creates and performs creative works in a professional setting, devotes most of his or her creative time to the art form and receives compensation for the works created and performed.
Applications will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- The quality of the artistic work (50%)
- The interest and relevance of the project submitted by the candidate (30%)
- The project’s feasibility (20%)
Applications will be assessed by a six member committee composed of three (3) artists from each country whose expertise is recognized in the field of puppetry arts.
Deadline for applications submitted by Montréal-based puppeteers who wish to participate in a creative research residency in New England: Monday, November 5, 2018, before midnight. Applications must be submitted by e-mail to Casteliers at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications submitted by US-based puppeteers who wish to attend a creative research residency in Montréal: Monday, November 5, 2018, before midnight. Applications must be submitted by e-mail to Puppet Showplace Theater at: email@example.com
Incomplete applications or applications received after the November 5 deadline will not be considered.
Decisions will be announced at the end of November 2018.
Link to Call for Projects
Download Registration Form (English)
Télécharger le formulaire d’inscription (Français)
General Artistic Director
+ 1 514 270-7779
Puppet Showplace Theater
+ 1 617 731-6400